Saturday, September 6, 2008

Weekend Randomness

It's another hot Saturday in Vegas and I have lots of things to do before Jersey's friend arrives for an overnight stay. Plenty of things about which to blog have crossed my mind, so I'll just throw a few of them together in a pile of random.

***Last night was the Stand Up to Cancer special on ABC, NBC, and CBS. I always like it when lots of powerful people get together for a good cause, and cancer has already had a profound effect on my life. I decided to call in to make a donation, small though it may have been, and I kinda hoped I'd get to talk to some nifty celebrity volunteer in the process. No such luck with that, but my father did make an appearance of sorts. Yes, he died nine years ago, but he seemed to be keeping tabs on my phone call.

When the nice operator answered, I have to admit that I had three people on my mind: my dad and my two biggest mentors, both of whom had also passed away from cancer. So, when asked if I would like to make a donation in memory of anyone, I hesitated momentarily, trying to decide if I could do some sort of multiple honor thing or if I should just stick to my dad. Before we got to any specifics about that, the operator asked for my name. I gave it to her and spelled it carefully and she repeated it back. But, you know how people clarify certain letters by saying "A as in apple" and such? Well, the only times she used "as in" were when she said "L as in Larry" and "D as in David". Odd, since my dad's given name was David and he went by Larry, a shortened version of his middle name. I definitely made a weird face at Jersey when I realized that my dad was saying hi to me through this lady. Oh, and you're welcome for the donation, dad. I gave it all in your name.

***I've known for a while that we are part of an instant-gratification society, but I noticed something last night that made me laugh out loud. I was making some instant pudding...crazy good, bright green, pistachio flavor. Though I've made it before, I glanced at the back of the box to make sure I was adding the correct amount of milk. At the top are the basic directions to add two cups of milk and mix until blended, about two minutes. Right below that are the words "Quicker Way", with the instructions on how to hurry up the pudding making process. Um, seriously, what's wrong with us that two minutes is too long?!? I decided to enjoy my dessert making, and I happily took all 120 seconds.

***A couple of weeks ago, there was a news story about the nine-year-old baseball pitcher who was told that he is not allowed to pitch anymore because he throws the ball too fast. He's too good at what he does and it's not considered fair to the other players. Now, I don't know all the details of this story, and I know this is a more extreme example, but I don't like it one bit. I don't like all the "fairness" rules out there, where kids must all get a chance to play each position, or where everyone gets the same trophy at the end of a competition. I don't like "try-outs" where anyone who shows up gets to make the team. I'm tired of people whining that they are just kids and everything should be equal. Sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. Everyone, kids included, need to realize that everyone has strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, natural abilities and things that take a lot of effort.

I am not saying that there can't be aspects of activities that acknowledge a wider base. For example, there was an annual Girl Scout Olympic-style track and field day. All of us who tried, in any of the events, were given a ribbon for our participation. Heat winners got a ribbon for their accomplishments. The best in each event got trophies. I never won a trophy, but I loved all of my participation ribbons and had a great time at each one of these competitions.

Some kids are going to be better athletically, some academically, some artistically. Why not teach them to embrace their natural talents, while allowing them the exploration into areas in which they don't excel, so that they also learn to appreciate defeat? Why must the winners feel like they have nothing to show for their efforts, when the losers got the same recognition? Why can't we teach children to work hard, be proud, and stop blaming other people for things that don't go their way?

***Please send good energy my way over the next few weeks. There are some ongoing changes in my workplace and I am on a roller coaster of sorts. Everything has the potential to go well, but shake-ups are always a little scary and I don't want to be fearful. I will keep my head up and take what comes my way with a smile, but some positive power from my friends can't hurt!

3 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I LOVE that you recognized that your dad was saying hi to you through the operator. Life is SO much more interesting when we're open to such things, and it makes me happy to hear that you are.

I'll vibe for you, my dear. Keep me posted...

Anonymous said...

I agree with you for the most part on the kids thing. Life's not fair and we should just rub some dirt on it, walk it off, and get over it.

That said, it is nice to see that one kid who has never one anything in his life (and possibly has bad parents) light up at the idea that someone thought he was good enough at something. Even if you are lying. *smile*

Louise said...

I'm laughing about the 120 seconds of pudding making and wholeheartedly applauding you for your take on the kids and sports thing. I agree with participation ribbons, but not everyone making the team. Life isn't like that, why teach children that it is?
Last year my daughter was in Kindergarten. For the History Fair and Science Fair, every single Kindergarten student got a FIRST PLACE BLUE RIBBON. That's not OK! By the time they are in 7th and 8th grade, they have to kill themselves for a B. It's a rude shock to switch from one to the other. AND, winners DON'T get proper recognition. And potentially "losers" don't have an opportunity for improvement because they get a blue ribbon, or trophy, or whatever no matter what they do. Teach kids about life, not about fantasyland!