Thursday, December 4, 2008

Holiday Food

After a wonderful vacation weekend in California and a busy few days back at home, I'm finally sitting still long enough to post here. I (sort of) apologize for being away, but I expect more of it throughout the holiday season. It's a crazy, fun time and I plan to enjoy it as much as possible.

Recently, I have been in an incredibly domestic mindset...lots of redecorating, cleaning, etc. Along with that has come the desire to experiment with cooking. I don't consider myself to be bad in the kitchen; if I am given a recipe, I can follow it properly. I am just not the type who can whip something up out of whatever is in the kitchen, nor do I branch out much from those recipes with which I am familiar. That's changed lately as I find new ideas I want to try, and it helps that Jersey will eat almost anything I put in front of her.

For Thanksgiving, I made a butternut squash soup (and some desserts, but those weren't new to me). I had never made any kind of soup before, so it was definitely a different experience. So, how did it turn out? Well, I'd say it was not horrible, but nothing great. It was too watered-down and the pureed squash was slightly grainy. I did like the flavor, though, and I learned what to change for next time, so I consider it a general success. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

So, all of this leads me to Christmas...and what I plan to try next. I have lots of ideas bouncing around in my head (I love to eat and I'm a big planner, so I'm almost giddy right now), so I thought I'd toss them out to all of you and see if any of you have gut reactions to them:

Turkey - Kind of traditional, but shortly after Thanksgiving, I read a wonderful slow-roast turkey recipe that guarantees that the meat will fall off the bones in lots of messy glory. I'm not sure I can wait a year to try it out, so Christmas may be perfect. There are only going to be four of us, I think, but Jersey and I are willing to eat turkey leftovers for days!

Christmas Eve - First of all, I called all rights to host Christmas Eve at my house YEARS ago. Seriously, I always wanted to host Christmas Eve once we were grown up with families of our own. We may not be totally there yet, but I think it would be nice to start a new, slightly different tradition this year. I'm still open to fun meal ideas (I read about one family that does pancakes and bacon on Christmas Eve), but so far I came up with...homemade chili! Seriously, I think it's just a tiny bit quirky, and it would be fun to curl up on the sofas with a bowl of chili and a classic Christmas movie.

Day-Old Turkey on Christmas Day?!? - Ok, I want to do the turkey and I want to do the chili. What would be super yummy? Chili with chunks of fresh turkey in it! If I time it right, I can have the turkey done early on the 24th, and then I can make the chili and let it cook for a while. We'll enjoy a wonderful new tradition and then we'll have lots of leftover turkey for Christmas Day. It's a little odd, but it's not like day-old turkey is anything bad and it takes some pressure off of the rest of the meal prep. Basically we can just cook all of the side dishes (and a small roast if my mom wants it) and we'll be good to go!

Dessert - I'm thinking chocolate lave cakes and macaroons.

Adult Beverages - One year, I made hot s'mores shots, with crushed graham cracker rims and mini marshmallows. Last year I drank Captain & Coke most of the day and had Captain & eggnog for dessert. We'll see what happens this year, but I think it might be fun to try a new cocktail.

Any feedback?

2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

LOTS of feedback!

One, I want the slow-roast turkey recipe, please.

Two, if chili rocks your boat, I say go for it. Who cares if it's not what everyone else is having.

Three, I LOVE to cook and am eager to dive into the preparations for Christmas day at Chez Chili. I'm planning a prime rib roast (which I plan to slow-roast for the better part of a whole day) and at turkey breast (but only because there will be people in attendance who HAVE to have turkey on Christmas). I'm trying to decide what to delegate (read that to say "what can I give my mother in law to bring that she can't fuck up too badly or, failing that, what we can live without if it comes to the house as a brick of charcoal?") and to figure out what kind of decadence to do for dessert. MMMMM!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to spend our first Christmas together and I know that whatever you decide to cook will be wonderful. Love you!! :)