Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Ten Things Tuesday

(Note: This was done yesterday, but due to technical difficulties, it got posted this morning)

I am not in the most cheery of moods at the moment, due to my frustration with (ok, I'm really pissed off at) the "CEO" at my workplace. I've been fighting an uphill battle for respect and got smacked down today, but I want to consciously focus on turning my attitude around in the spirit of the holiday weekend. I will vent plenty about work next week, but for now I choose to be grateful instead.

Ten Things For Which I am Thankful

1. My Family - I don't generally do these TTT lists in any particular order, but I do feel that I should put my family at the top of this one. No matter what may come my way, I will always have my family. Even my dad, who has been gone nearly ten years, still counts because he is part of me (and he sends pigeon soldiers after me a LOT). My mom has often said to me "I may not agree with your decision, but I love and support you anyway" and my sister, while not using that exact quote, has illustrated the same sentiment. Plus, neither of them say "I told you so", and I've deserved that more than once.

2. My Friends - I don't have many close friends; I really never have. I have acquaintances with whom I enjoy spending time, but I've never been the social type and I let people phase in and out of my life pretty smoothly. The few friends I do have, however, are people that would drop everything to be with me this very second if I needed them to be. I also have a handful of online friends, both in the blogosphere and on a message board I have frequented for a few years, so they deserve their own special acknowledgment.

3. My Job - Yeah, I'm having a tough time with a few issues and this may not be my dream job, but I know how fortunate I am to have a job that pays the bills and allows me to have some fun. Plus, I have a flexible schedule and I work with my mom, so I do smile a lot more than I have at other jobs. I plan to use some of my flexibility to work on my writing in the upcoming year.

4. Orgasms - Hey, if Mrs. Chili can say it, so can I! :) Seriously though, last Thanksgiving, I never imagined that I would have the emotionally and physically amazing relationship that I have with Jersey. She and I were simply friends, coworkers, and roommates...and now we are planning our wedding. Before she came along, part of me thought I deserved the shitty relationships that I had. Now I feel strong, safe, and incredibly sexy. I look at her and see my future.

5. My Money Market Account - Why am I thankful for this account? Because last year I didn't have it. In fact, I was still in the midst of (a largely self-induced) financial hell. A single bean burrito at Taco Bell was out of the realm of possibilities. I would ask my mom for a roll of toilet paper. Those samples of toothpaste and hotel shampoos were all I had. I'd scrape together change just to pay the bills. But through it all, I stayed current on my mortgage and car payment and have built myself back up. This summer, I opened up a money market account and I make at least two sizable deposits in it each month.

6. My Health - This includes all things mental and physical. I have remained emotionally strong since going off of my antidepressants almost five years ago and my body has forgiven me for the physical damage. While I have gotten a little soft and squishy over the past year, I am confident that I can regain my healthy body with some hard work and self-control.

7. My Self-Awareness - For the most part, I know my strengths and I know my faults. When I take any of those personality profile test thingys, I can pretty accurately predict the results. At this point in my life, I feel like my awareness gives me a couple of advantages: I can use my natural talents and proclivities in work and at home, and I can improve upon my weaknesses while not being forced to be something I'm not. It's taken me nearly 30 years to get to a stage at which I am very comfortable.

8. My Well-Roundedness - My mom has told me that this was a big focus of hers as my sister and I were growing up. She didn't want to raise one-dimensional children, so we were exposed to a lot of different things. As a result, I am comfortable grabbing pizza before a baseball game or savoring king crab legs before a Broadway musical. I don't make many judgment calls about things I've never tried. I am open to new experiences and ideas, and I am grateful for that gift.

9. Jersey's Family and Friends - I know how lucky I am that my family and friends are so supportive of my relationship with Jersey...but how awesome is it that her family and friends are just as supportive? We have twice the love and acceptance and it reaches all the way to our grandparents' generation. I knew that my family would embrace Jersey, but I never dreamed that I would be so welcomed by hers. I know our union will be more than a joining of just two people.

10. My Car - Because it is now, officially, MY car. I was able to pay it off about eight months early and now I can take the car payment money and save it up. I had originally planned to get a new car in the next year or two, but then I did the math and realized what I could save if I keep it just a few extra years. It's a fun car in good condition, so there's no reason to be silly about it. I may treat myself to the installation of a 6-CD changer, but that's about it.

I hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Jersey and I are driving to California to spend the weekend with family (my mom and sister will meet us there). We will also be attending my high school best friend's wedding on Friday. Whoo hoo! See you all next week!

1 comment:

Mrs. Chili said...

Wow. I really started something, didn't I? Well, Mr. Chili WAS gone for almost three weeks!

This is a lovely list. I'm so happy for you!

Have a wonderful holiday!

MWAH!

~Chili