Friday, February 20, 2009

My Next Thirty Years

Well, I've been 30 for over a week and it's been great so far. As I've said, I love my birthday, so I stretched out the celebration for a handful of days. Here are some of the highlights:

On the morning of my birthday, my mom and I met at a restaurant for breakfast and she presented me with a birthday sash and tiara. Personally, I think it may be a good idea to wear this combo more often; it scored me a slice of chocolate mousse cake (which was a little odd after my omelet, but who am I to turn down free food?!?) and a coupon for a complimentary appetizer on my next visit. Then, we went to the office, where I had two birthday cakes, a VERY decorated desk, and lots of birthday wishes/gifts/cards.

That evening, Jersey and I headed over to happy hour at a convenient chain restaurant with an awesome bartender. Oh, and Jersey gave me a different sash and tiara to wear ("Birthday Bitch").


We were joined by my mom


And about 10 friends/coworkers. It was a lot of fun and I behaved rather well. One of my friends got a little too tipsy and got dragged out by her hubby. I don't think I was really drunk til toward the end of the night when one of my friends offered to buy us a couple of drinks...we had already closed out our tab, but I went ahead and had those last two cocktails. Honestly, I don't get drunk very often, so I won't apologize for being goofy on my 30th birthday. Plus, we had planned ahead and Jersey was driving. I'm not exactly sure how Max felt when I got home and scooped him up...


Ah, love the glassy eyes.

On Friday, my mom, Jersey, and I drove to California to spend the weekend at Disneyland. And, as if that wasn't enough, my sister flew down from the Bay Area, Jersey's sister flew in from Albany (where she's attending college), and Jersey's best friend drove down from LA. The six of us exhausted ourselves, but we all had a blast!


One of my favorite parts of the weekend was when we went to dinner on Sunday night. I had decided to pick a restaurant outside of Disneyland so that my best friend and her husband would be able to meet up with us. With her there, we had our wedding party intact:


Her sister (second from left) is her maid of honor; my sister (second from right) is mine. Her best friend (far left) is her bridesmaid; my best friend (far right) is mine. It was great to have everyone meet at least once before all the actual wedding stuff.

My entire birthday celebration was terrific and I look forward to rocking the next ten years! Whooooo hooooooo!

4 comments:

Lara said...

so i was talking to J. about the wedding party picture, and all i had to say was, "it's funny if you look at the two sides of the wedding party..." he said, "wait, is R. the other bridesmaid?" (i was impressed he remembered her name.) when i said yes, he already knew how bad the size discrepancy would be. :-P

happy birthday yet again!

Mrs. Chili said...

Truly, my thirties ROCKED (and, you know, my forties aren't sucking, either). I'm so glad you had a wonderful time, and I'm looking forward to more adventures!

Love!

Chili

Mojo said...

I try not to remember my 30's any more than I have to.

You mentioned looking for sushi recipes a while back, thought you might be interested in this link:
http://video.about.com/japanesefood/Prepare-Perfect-Sushi-Rice.htm

Who knew?

Louise said...

Happy (belated) birthday! I've been WAY behind and am just catching up.

I'm so glad you had a terrific one and stretched it out. When I turned 30, my mom brought gifts to my office every day for the whole week. It was fabulous! But DISNEYLAND... well, you can't top that!