Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Success!

When asked about my guilty pleasure here, I mentioned that one of my guilty pleasures would be occurring in the upcoming weeks. In another post, I mentioned that I was going to try to make sushi at home. Alas, my guilty pleasure and the sushi-making collided and I'm sure you are all totally intrigued (or disgusted) by that image.

My guilty pleasure started several years ago, when I was living alone in an apartment, approximately 15 minutes from my mom's house. The Academy Awards were coming up, and we had a history of watching them together (even when we were 3000 miles apart during my college years, we'd IM throughout the telecast). I mentioned that it might be fun to get all dressed up in formal wear and watch all of the red carpet hoopla. I even decided to cook a mulit-course meal. With that, my mom and her (now ex) boyfriend came over in their gown and suit, respectively, and I served stuffed scallops, orange-glazed chicken, spinach rolls, and apple crisp; all the while, we enjoyed the spectacle on television.

Since then, we've continued the tradtion, some years more elaborately than others. Last year, my relationship with Jersey was sitll new, but she jumped right into the silliness and we ate pizza and breadsticks in our pretty dresses. It's always been fun and goofy and I look forward to our annual Oscar celebration.

This year, my mom had to be in Orlando for work, so she couldn't join us for our party. Jersey and I planned to just hang out together and do our own thing, but then her best friend decided to fly in from California and dress up with us! I figured that I had a great opportunity to make sushi for the first time, and studied proper sushi techniques extensively. Everything was a success, and here are the pictures to prove it...

2 comments:

Lara said...

not gonna lie - i had NO idea that you guys had this tradition. NONE.

Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, MAN! I've got some GORGEOUS dresses that I've been DYING to wear (but since Mr. Chili stopped working for fancy consulting firms, our schmancy party opportunities have been reduced to zero).

I'll have to skip on the sushi, though; ball gowns and allergic shock don't go well together.

PURTY hair!