Sunday, November 2, 2008

Surprise(s)!

Yesterday, while Jersey was at work, I told her I was planning a surprise for her and that it would be ready when she got home. She was a little nervous about what I might be up to, but she was a good sport when I told her to stop outside the bedroom door and close her eyes. I guided her into the middle of the room and told her she could look around. Around the room was a scratch post, a cat bed, and a couple of toys...she squealed when she realized I had adopted a kitten. The kitten in question was hiding under the bed when she first arrived, but I was able to take some pictures this morning:
After Jersey stopped squealing, I told her that the kitten was hiding under the bed and that I had taken the liberty of naming him already. She reached under the bed to pull him out and look at his tag...this is what she saw:Jersey thought it was a joke and started to giggle, but then she looked up at me and saw a ring in my hand. I got down on one knee and she fell backward onto the floor. I still don't remember if she actually ever said yes (she says she did, but I don't know), but there was an awful lot of shaking, crying, and kissing going on!
By the way, I went through a little bit of hell earlier in the day when I called Jersey's dad to ask for his blessing. I wasn't actually that freaked out about asking him, but I am terrified of the phone. It's irrational, but I can't stand the phone in the most normal of situations. This definitely didn't qualify as normal. Being the freak that I am, I wrote out exactly what I wanted to say, rehearsed it a number of times, vomited, stared at the phone for about 15 minutes, and then dialed. I caught her dad while he was grocery shopping with her four-year-old brother (not the best timing, but oh well) and went through my mini-speech. When I ended with "I would love your blessing because I would like to propose to Jersey tonight", he said "You got it." Wow, that was simple.

Much of last night and this morning was full of phone calls to excited friends and family. Oh, and the kitten's name is Max and he'll be four months old on Tuesday (he was born on July 4th!). He kept us up most of the night with his talking, but he's adjusting pretty well to his life outside the shelter. So, now Jersey and I have a kitten and a wedding to plan! Yay!

12 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I've never laid eyes on you, I've never heard your voice, I wouldn't know you if I bumped into you on the street, but this makes me so happy that my eyes are welling up.

I know how it feels to find someone who just seems to vibrate at a sympathetic frequency to my own, and I am always thrilled when it happens to someone else. I guess it feels a little like outside confirmation that other people get to be that happy, too.

So congratulations, you two. Marriage is joyous, sometimes difficult work, but it's worth every single day of it. Every good marriage brings a little more light into the Universe, and I'm just delighted to have a new point in the sky.

Much love,

Chili

Lara said...

max is okay, but i still like "saki." therefore, i will call him saki. if you can call aijiboo "jiffy pop" then i can call max "saki."

also, you guys know i love you both, always and forever, so forgive my excitement about the kitten if i forget about your happiness. i just really like kitties.

Lara said...

oh, and p.s. upon further reflection, saki looks stoned in that second picture. what have you been DOING to him?!

Schriftstellar said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! My wife and I just cried with happiness, reading this. Please know there's a couple in Massachusetts just overjoyed for you both!!

Anonymous said...

I found your site via your sister and have followed your journey since you began blogging. I enjoy reading about your relationship with Jersey and all the wonderful things that you do to support and love each other. I love that you gave her a kitten with the most beautiful tag I have ever seen.

Congratulations and I hope you live happily ever after.

Louise said...

What Mrs. Chili said. Her comments are always the best.

I'm so happy for you. And the kitten is the sweetest thing! Clever proposal, too! I look forward to hearing about the plans!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a great way to propose! I am super happy for you both!

MB said...

from a single mom in Indiana: my happiest blessings. How exciting that we live in an age where we can celebrate our love for one another this way. GO GIRLS!

Oh, and the kitten is cute! :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story - here's to more sweet stories to come!
Congrats and best wishes from a friend of Lara's =)

Wolf Lover Girl said...

Congratulations on the engagement!! The ring is beautiful and I just LOVE the way you proposed. The new kitty is cute too! :-)

~ Wolf Lover Girl

Major Bedhead said...

How exciting!!! Congratulations to both of you.

(Congrats on the cat, too - he's adorable, but you two get the exclamation marks.)

Bo said...

Hearty congratulations, and the very best to you both. May I quote Slim (RIP, Richard Farnsworth) from the criminally underrated remake of The Getaway:

"Well, it's a tough haul sometime, but let me tell you, it's well worth it. I think the most important thing in life is something you got to give to each other. Don't never forget it."

Lea and I are halfway through year 12 and I wouldn't give five seconds back.

I wish you joy together.