Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

I love Halloween, though I will admit that Jersey and I plan to be bums tonight and avoid the craziness. We don't get any trick-or-treaters where we live, so I think we're just going to go out to dinner and a movie. However, last weekend was my company Halloween party and my mom, Jersey, and I attended it together.

When I went to buy the costumes, I knew I wanted to find some theme for the three of us. Given that my mom wanted something age-appropriate, and I am not in the best shape of my life, these zombie costumes were perfect. I was a zombie cheerleader, Jersey was a zombie prom queen, and my mom was a zombie headmistress (or something equally supervisor-like). Jersey never dreamed that she'd be dating a pom-pom girl! Ha!

The party was held at a coworker's home and the floorplan is really different (actually, Jersey and I had toured a model of a similar home a few months ago). From the entrance, the master bedroom and bathroom are half a floor below, the two other bedrooms and a bathroom are on the next floor, the kitchen and living room are on the third floor, and there is a rooftop deck on top of it all. Interesting, though I don't think I would like to live there full-time.


Ok, back to the party...this was specifically an "adult" party (though someone brought their 13-year-old anyway) with an open bar for anyone who paid for a ticket (all money went to our company charity). The cocktails were fine, but the funny stuff began when someone brought out a table, plastic cups, and ping pong balls. That's right...we played beer pong! I hadn't played beer pong since my college days, so it was actually a lot of fun to play at the party. Jersey and I played the first game against another couple and we managed to keep our competiveness in check (!?!) throughout. In all fairness, the couple was very nice and we joked around while playing. It was a relatively close game, but we beat them by a couple of cups.

Game two was interesting; I'm not sure how else to describe it. Jersey and I played against two of my coworkers and I really, really don't like them. The fact that people might consider them to be successful businesswomen makes me gag. Of course, this made the game more important than it might otherwise be, because neither one of us wanted to lose to these giggling morons. After scoring against them almost immediately, they looked at us in surprise when we told them that they had to drink the beer in the cup. Um, hello? Did you not pay attention at all during game one? Jersey wasn't in the mood to deal with them, so she offered to drink it for them. And so the game went. We'd score, we'd drink. Totally defeats the general point of the game, but it did make them look like idiots, so we were ok with it. We blew them away in the game and moved on to our last opponents of the night.

We played the final game against a coworker and the brother of another coworker. I knew they'd be tough, so it was time to get serious again. Of course, by this time, Jersey and I were seeing double, but we managed to maintain surprisingly good aim. This was the closest game, but I was able to land my ball in their final cup while we had one of our own left. Yay! I'm not sure what it says about us that we were the company beer pong champions (I would argue it had more to do with the winning part than the drinking part), but it's a title we will try damn hard to defend next year.

Other quick notes: Jersey is dressed as a pirate today. Her prom dress would've been tough to handle all day at work. I am off today (odd state holiday), so I am just wearing a Halloween shirt while I run errands. Oh, and we had a pumpkin carving contest at work yesterday. I decided to participate at the last minute, but ended up winning the $75 grand prize. My mom won the booby prize for the entry below. I hope you all have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

Zombies really ARE a great fallback position, aren't they? SO flexible; one can be a "zombie ANYTHING."

What movie are you going to see?

Lara said...

creepy, creepy, and creepy. but glad you all had a good time. :)

morgan said...

mrs. chili - We just got back from Changeling. You know me with the true story movies!

lara - I just wish you could've been a zombie with us.

Louise said...

Too much fun you had!

I love the 3 of you together. Your mom looks almost elegant!