Friday, October 3, 2008

More Randomness

Some of the stuff bouncing around in my head:

* My kitchen still looks the same as it did last week. I have two estimates for the repair work and will be getting another on Monday. At that point I will probably be talking to my insurance company about increasing their settlement a little bit, because the numbers aren't matching well. In the meantime, I have had an incredible urge to clean the rest of my house in depth...I'm guessing it's my way of trying to make myself feel like I am in control despite the chaos.

* This is probably my favorite time of year when it comes to professional sports. It's the baseball playoffs, football has started, and hockey is just around the corner. Yes, I am a huge Angels fan, so I won't discuss the LA/Boston series too much...I'd hate to piss off half my readership at once! I will say that my biggest issue in any competition based discussion is sportsmanship. For NFL week one, Jersey and I went to watch the games at a local bar. She and I were both wearing team jerseys, as were many others there. Some idiot felt that it was necessary to come all the way over to where we were sitting just to tell us that our team sucks and that we're assholes. Um, thanks. Anyway, in any sport, I will respect that other teams have true fans who love them, just as much as I hate them. I'm totally okay with that, but don't taunt me just to be mean. You cheer for your team, I'll cheer for mine, and we can do some friendly jabbing every now and then.

* Last night was the first time I've sat down to watch an entire debate. I have various touchy issues throughout politics, but there is one nagging question that I've had for a while. It's difficult to bring up to people because it sounds like I want to start a fight...and I really don't. I'm honestly confused and would love an explanation. What exactly is the big problem for the people who are okay with same sex "civil unions" but against same sex "marriage"? I mean, I've heard lots of people (12-15ish) who have said "Yeah, I have no problem with allowing same sex unions that entitle couples to joint insurance, hospital visitation rights, childcare decisions, etc. I just don't think that they should be allowed to get married." I guess my question is whether there is a difference beyond the vocabulary. Is it just that "marriage" implies some sort of religious union (though plenty of married couples aren't religious at all)? Is that what people are upset about? Does "civil union" imply a state decision and "marriage" imply a federal one? I just can't figure out what the difference between a "civil union" and a "marriage" is, assuming that these couples get all the rights that heterosexual couples do. Any ideas? What I am missing?

* Every day at work (well, everywhere, really) I am astonished at how many people expect everyone else to wipe their asses for them. Maybe it's that I was taught personal responsibility and other people missed that life lesson, but it's just awful that people don't make coffee after they take the last cup, don't turn it required paperwork until their paycheck is being held for it, don't pay their own annual/biannual/quarterly dues, etc. I hear excuses like "I didn't know" or "nobody told me" all day long. Seriously, how do these people not starve when they run out of groceries at home? Or do they get magical food drops from the sky? Nothing seems to be their fault...somebody else always did it to them. Ugh.

* It's still hot here in Vegas, but I am looking forward to the holidays! Thanksgiving will be spent at my grandparents' house in California. Normally we stay home, but my best friend from high school is getting married on the Friday after Thanksgiving, so Jersey and I will be in CA for that and my mom and sister decided to join us. Then, my sister is coming to Vegas for Christmas and Jersey has moved her East Coast visit up a little so that she can be here with me on Christmas, her birthday, and New Year's. Yay!

* Other assorted fun coming up: Jersey's mom is visiting at the beginning of November. I met her in July, but this will be the first time our moms are meeting each other. In fact, it's the first time my mom is meeting any family of anyone I've ever dated. Big step! I'm nervous in an excited sort of way.

In January, Jersey and I are going to Jamaica for a week. It will be a very relaxing vacation, unlike the trips we've taken where we are trying to cram a million things into a few days. Oh, and it's all-inclusive...alcohol, too! Yes, we'll behave.

I turn 30 in February! And I LOVE my birthday. Always have, always will. This February, I am planning a big party at Disneyland and we'll see if I can actually get a little group together. My aforementioned best friend lives about 15 minutes away from Disneyland and her birthday is just 12 days after mine, so maybe she and her new husband can join us. Jersey and I are in the process of trying to get her sister out here from Albany for the celebration. My sister (hopefully) will be flying down for it. My mom, of course, will be there. I've told lots of coworkers as well, and I'd love to see who can make it a big weekend of fun. For the record, if any of my (three? four?) readers would like to make some sort of family vacation out of it, I'd love to meet you. It's the three-day weekend (2/14-2/16). I'm just looking forward to wearing the special birthday Mickey ears and the huge button that says "It's my birthday".

6 comments:

Lara said...

yeah, i looked at my calendar and it's actually the first part of our winter break, so yay! i can fly down, enjoy myself, and then still have a week off when i get home to catch up on work!

Mrs. Chili said...

I don't know what the big deal is with calling it "marriage."

I guess MY problem with the whole semantics issue is that I'm not down with the "separate but equal" idea. If a civil union grants you and Jersey the same rights my marriage license grants Mr. Chili and me, then let's call it the same damned thing; either call CUs marriage or call marriages CUs (I certainly won't be offended - I think I have a civil union, anyway, but that's a post for another time).

I'm nervous that CALLING it something different will mean it's TREATED differently. One of my nephews was adopted from Russia when he was a toddler, but I NEVER mention that to anyone - he's my nephew, no qualifications necessary. I think that if we call gay marriage civil unions, people will find cause to discriminate based on the idea that it's somehow NOT marriage.

On this, I'm kind of a whole-enchillada kind of gal.

Major Bedhead said...

Y'know, this whole gay marriage thing drives me absolutely insane. Who CARES if you're a woman married to a woman, a woman married to a man or a man married to a man? How on earth is that going to affect ANYONE? Seriously. I do not get it. We've had gay marriage here in Massachusetts for a while now and I can't see that it's changed a freakin' thing. You love who you love and how that affects anyone else is beyond my ken. I get quite heated on this topic at times, mostly because the opposition truly baffles me.

I shall reserve comment on the whole LA/Boston series until this game (now going into the 11th inning) finally ends. I thought we had it there for a moment, but I have learned over years of long, hard fan-ship not to count my chickens. Or outs, as the case may be.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Sox fan but I am sorry your team lost. Well, what I mean to say is I am sorry about how you must feel about the loss.

morgan said...

Lara - Yay!

Mrs. Chili - I definitely agree with you, but I wonder if it's worth dealing with the semantics as a step in the right direction. Does the potential good end justify the shitty means? I don't know.

Major Bedhead - I get worked about the marriage thing and the extra inning thing. :)

Auntie - Thanks. I'm in severe denial right now, but I appreciate the kindness!

Louise said...

What a thorough update! I love it! (And I've been gone and had guests so am way behind.)

I hope that kitchen mess gets straightened out. Maybe you've mentioned it sense, but I'm going in chronological order.

I hate sports,partially for the reason you mentioned. Probably I would hate them anyway, but I'm certainly not going to tell you that you're an idiot for liking them. But a lot of fans ARE idiots. I totally agree with you on behavior.

Same sex marriage. No idea. To me this is such an unimportant issue in the world today that I wish people on either side would view it as a non-issue and forget that it is one. People are people. Get over it.

People at work. I hate that. I haven't had a "real job" in 6 years. I haven't missed it one single day. I really don't know HOW these people survive on their own. I deal with some of their kids when I volunteer at my daughter's school. They'll be doing something completely inappropriate in art class--like purposely painting the table, or chair, or the uniform shirt of the student next to them. I'll say, "Would you do that at home?" They will give me a blank look for a moment, then say, "Yes, why wouldn't I?" God help the world after a few more generations of this.

I love how excited you are about all the visiting and traveling. I just went through some of that and am SO tired! It was nice, but it drained me. I can tell it won't drain you. And you birthday party sounds like a blast. I love those birthday buttons!