Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ten Things Tuesday

Ugh, my internet was down all weekend, so all of my best intentions to blog went kaput! And I was incredibly angry that I waited weeks for the podcast discussion of The Stand with The Dark and Stormy Book Club, and then had to miss it. Yes, I've listened to it since and yes, I will be contributing my thoughts in the comments of that blog, but it still made me cranky. Anyway, I am back now (well, I'm at work...don't know if my home internet is fixed yet), and I figured a TTT post is an easy way to jump back in.

Ten Things I Love to Eat

1. Avocado - I've loved avocado my entire life and will add it to sandwiches, burgers, salads, and much more whenever possible. Many places add very little avocado (and it's not cheap!), but there is a sandwich place around the corner that just heaps it on. Yum! I also make a pretty nice guacamole (if I do say so myself), and I don't add a ton of stuff to it because I still want that avocado taste. And you probably don't want to hear about the time that I ordered three (yes, three) plates of the Avocado Club Egg Roll appetizer from CPK on my birthday. No, I didn't share.

2. Cheese - One of my two biggest vices. I admit that I don't have as much knowledge about different cheeses as I would like, but it's something on which I am working. I love adding extra cheese to entrees, but I also try to behave on occasion. Cheese and crackers with a bottle of wine makes quite the romantic snack.

3. Sushi - See #2 regarding my knowledge of it. I'm still very new to all things sushi, but I'm interested in learning how to roll my own. If I do learn, look for a blog post all about that adventure!

4. Kiwi - It's such a cute, yet powerful fruit. For some reason, I haven't enjoyed kiwi-flavored things as much as I would have thought, but I'll eat the real thing in a heartbeat. The thing is, I don't like biting into it when it's too cold, so I have to pull it out of the fridge and then actually remember it when it's closer to room temp. I'm bad at that whole remembering thing.

5. Peanut butter - When I was little, I used to eat peanut butter on a spoon as a treat. Seriously. I'd ask my mom for permission, dip my spoon in the jar, and then savor it for about 30 minutes. Oh, and I think that peanut butter and chocolate might be the best combination of flavors in the whole universe.

6. Ice cream - The other of my two biggest vices. Oh, and see the combination in #5 for one of my favorite flavors. I say one of my favorite flavors because I probably have 372 favorites. It's wonderful (and awful) that there is a Baskin Robbins, a Cold Stone Creamery, and a Dairy Queen in the same intersection, right down the street from my house (there was a fourth place there up until about six months ago...my withdrawals are getting better). I have so many ice cream stories that I just might be able to do an entire TTT about them!

7. Spinach - Odd, huh? I've been a spinach fan since my childhood and I'm thrilled about it because I don't like very many veggies. I love a good spinach salad, preferably one that I have created at Sweet Tomatoes or Whole Foods, and will substitute spinach for iceberg lettuce at any restaurant that will allow it.

8. Tomato soup & a grilled cheese sandwich - Ok, so this is two things, but we all know I can't do a TTT that has only ten items. Besides, I don't think they'd make the list on individual merit; this is probably the universe's second best combination after peanut butter & chocolate. I don't even care that eating it makes me look like an eight-year-old. Dipping that sandwich in the hot soup and trying not to drip it down my chin as I eat it...ok, you get the picture. Heaven.

9. Clam chowder - New England clam chowder, and not some watered-down blah version of it. Outside of New England (duh), I'm a big fan of San Francisco's N.E. clam chowder. Every now and then I come across a winner in a random restaurant, but I hesitate to order it because the quality can vary so much.

10. French or sourdough bread - Dipped in #9 would be great, but I will just as quickly eat it alone. I don't even butter my bread, I just eat it (ok, I do like to dip it in olive oil, if it's there). I've thought about being healthy and switching to whole grain something, but I'd rather be happy. At least when it comes to my bread.

Aside from the fact that I probably just disgusted Mrs. Chili with #3 and #9, does anyone want to have dinner with me?

5 comments:

Lara said...

ok, i do!

saintseester said...

I don't like sushi or clam chowder myself, but the rest of it. Yum. And, tomato soup w/ grilled cheese can be counted as one item because they go together so well.

I am so sorry you didn't get to hook up with the live audio stream of the podcast on Sunday. We are still thrilled to have you participate in the comments.

Mrs. Chili said...

That's okay, Morgan; you made up for it with numbers 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10!

I ADORE tomato soup and grilled cheese, but only in a certain way. Tomatoes, eggs, and cheese are my "weird foods." I like them, but only if prepared just right. I open a can of Progresso Hearty Tomato soup and make myself a grilled cheese sandwich with real mozzarella cheese and sprinkle it with garlic salt so it's really like cheesy garlic bread. MMMMMMMM!

Louise said...

I'm with Mrs. Chili on Sushi and Clam Chowder, and I don't like avacadoes (I can handle guacamole ONLY if it has lots of other stuff to mask them), but the rest, I love. Tomato soup and grilled cheese is one of my comfort foods. And though I normally make most things mostly from scratch, and we rarely repeat meals more than once a year, in a pinch, tomato soup and grilled cheese will fit the bill on any remotely chilly day.

As for the bread, I've never made sourdough, but I make French bread with enough whole wheat flour to make me feel better about it, but not ruin it. I'll come to dinner and bring the bread!

Major Bedhead said...

Oooh, I luuuuuuuuuuuurve cheese. Reserve Gruyere is probably my favorite (at the moment) but I don't think I've met a cheese I don't like. I even like pub cheese.

Sushi and clam chowdah rock - if you have an Outback near you, they do a surprisingly good clam chowdah, especially considering they're an Australian-themed chain. Otherwise, yeah, come to Massachusetts. We know chowdah. The Clam Box in Ipswich has one that's to die for.

And nothing beats a grilled cheese with tomato soup. Yum....