Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ten Things Tuesday

Here is a list of ten songs that I can't turn off (subject to change once I drive myself crazy by replaying them over and over and over...):

1. "Baba O'Riley" (The Who) - I had to put this first on the list because I have played it more times in the past three or four months than the rest of this list combined. I even made it my ringtone. I've stopped short of watching the opening credits of CSI: NY just to hear a bit of it, but if it just happens to be on...

2. "Who Says You Can't Go Home" (Bon Jovi featuring Jennifer Nettles) - Yes, there is a regular Bon Jovi version of this song, but I like the duet with Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland. I especially like trying to sing her part of it, but I severely lack that talent.

3. "Alone" (Heart) - I've always loved this song and was fortunate enough to see Heart in concert this past summer, along with Cheap Trick and Journey. They did impressive covers of "Love Reign O'er Me" (by The Who) and "Going to California" (by Led Zeppelin), but hearing "Alone" performed live was the highlight for me.

4. "Songbird" (Eva Cassidy) - This was originally done by Fleetwood Mac (with Christine McVie), but I like the cover slightly more. I don't know if I'm a sappy romantic in general, but this song will make me gooey. I dream of walking down the aisle to it one day.

5. "Africa" (Toto) - I couldn't even begin to describe what I love about this song, but I've loved it for years. Random trivia: this was the first song I downloaded to my Ipod.

6. "That I Would Be Good" (Alanis Morissette) - This song became a mantra of mine when I was going through tough times a while back. I'd sing it in the car with hopeful tears running down my face. I printed out the lyrics and decorated the paper with pictures of goals and positive ideas, and then I framed it and hung it on my wall (along with Martina McBride's "Anyway"). It's nice to sing along with it now, looking back from beyond the black hole.

7. "Somebody to Love" (Queen) - I am a big Queen fan, so it's difficult to pick one favorite, but this is probably it. Of all of the Queen songs I have on my Ipod ("Fat Bottomed Girls", "Under Pressure"), this is the one I am most likely to repeat and least likely to skip.

8. "More Than a Feeling" (Boston) - Totally cheesy, I know, but I can't help but rock out to this song when I hear it. Ooh, and I also got to see Boston live this summer (with Styx). Anyway, I can't hit the high notes in this song, but I have fun trying!

9. "Viva La Vida" (Coldplay) - I really don't listen to much current music (cue the "kids these days" rant...ok, not really), but I caught part of this song one day and was hooked. I'll have to look into Coldplay some more. Jersey says they aren't too bad.

10. "Layla" (Derek and the Dominos) - More specifically, the piano piece at the end of the song. For the longest time, I didn't even realize that the piano part was a continuation of "Layla"; I recognized it from Goodfellas more than anything. I actually have the end downloaded, but not all of "Layla".

Honorable Mentions (because I can't stick to ten): "Patience" by Guns n Roses; a few Eagles songs including "Take It to the Limit", "The Best of My Love", and "Peaceful, Easy Feeling"; "Collide" by Howie Day, "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen, and "Crimson and Clover" covered by Joan Jett.

2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

Heh. Joan Jett.

I love you.

Louise said...

"More Than A Feeling." It's one of my all-time favorites. Boston is one of the two concerts I've ever attended. It wasn't great as far as concerts go (in my VAST experience), but I was on the floor. I was just there wishing I were in the bleachers listening. You have a good list! ... and you're so young! (I've also heard a lot of Coldplay on blogs that I like.)